Sticker Shock for Repairs After a Deer Collision? Consider Used Auto Parts

If you've recently collided with a deer, you likely had sticker shock after speaking with your insurance claims adjuster. According to State Farm, crashes with deer cost more than $4,100 on average. Of course, that's only paid for by the insurance company if your insurance covers it and after you've met your deductible. If your insurance doesn't cover collisions with wildlife or your deductible is too high, you may need to take matters into your own hands and make the repairs yourself. Fortunately, junk yards have used auto parts. Here's what you need to know. 

Get a copy of the adjuster's appraisal

You should have received a copy of the adjuster's appraisal report. If not, contact your auto insurance company to have one faxed, emailed, or snail-mailed to you. The appraisal report contains a list of the parts that you will need to make the repairs to your vehicle. Keep in mind, however, that the goal of the insurance company was to repair your vehicle to the way it was before the collision. Your goal may be just to get the car to pass inspection (if required by your state) and/or make it operable again. 

Have a state inspection provider check over the vehicle

If your state does require an inspection, it's a good idea to have a state inspection provider look over the vehicle before you make any repairs or changes to it. He or she will be able to tell you exactly what the car will need to get it to pass inspection. This is important because there may be issues with your vehicle that can cause it to fail inspection, even if the damages seem minor. For example, a fender bender can cause a headlight to be out of alignment, which could cause the vehicle to fail inspection. With his or her guidance, you'll know exactly which parts to get from the junk yard. 

Ask a mechanic to check the mechanical parts

Another thing that will need to be considered before heading to the junk yard for replacement parts is whether or not there is any damage to the mechanical parts of the engine, transmission, and drive train and, if so, can any of those parts be replaced with used parts from a yard like U Pull & Pay. Of course, you may need to have the car towed to the mechanic or ask the mechanic to go to your vehicle. Alternatively, the mechanic may be able to make the determination without looking over the vehicle simply by reading the adjuster's report.